2020 was quite a year.
We faced new challenges as the pandemic of Covid-19 hit hard throughout our world and communities. As a church and a community, we found new ways of doing ministry. This meant developing a whole new online worship experience, due to not having services for a period, then returning to services that looked much different with masks and social distancing while maintaining online services each week.
We learned a lot. And we asked for your flexibility. You were so gracious and generous!
Throughout this time, the needs in our local community increased significantly and your generosity allowed our church to:
- Host dozens of VBS Block Parties
- Develop a new space for school-age students to learn through the Grow to Learning Pods
- Open our space for weekly youth study halls and move youth meetings to the outdoor van bays allowing students to gather safely
- Develop a study on Colossians and support over 800 people participating in groups -mostly virtually!
- Provide for our community. You donated blood during Red Cross Blood Drive, gave over 11,000 diapers to Diaper Bank of the Ozarks, and hundreds of gifts and food items to kids at the local Pittman Elementary.
- Serve our church through phone calls, cards, and even pumpkin deliveries to over 1100 people in the fall.
- Celebrate Christmas in a creative and unique way with outdoor and online services.
- Help launch Flourish, a new community development corporation for Springfield
Additionally, the Schweitzer Food Pantry met practical needs by serving, 3,351 households this year (up from 2,177 in 2019). We also sent out 738 bins of food to 10 other organizations in our community.
Thank you Schweitzer for stepping up during a challenging year . . . you were a blessing in 2020.
Enjoy the highlight video below along with photo from our 2020 online gallery.