The Way of Wisdom #2
Gathering Question Share about a woman who offered you wise advice.
- What stood out to you in the sermon? What insights did you gain? What questions did it raise?
Wisdom can be described as “the orientation to proper action” or as simply “doing the right thing.”
- What do these descriptions say to you about wisdom?
- Which do you find more difficult – knowing how God wants you to live or doing what you know God wants? Why?
James 1:22 says, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.”
- What are some of the different reasons it can be a struggle for us to do what we know we should do?
Out in the open wisdom calls aloud,
she raises her voice in the public square;
on top of the wall she cries out,
at the city gate she makes her speech:
- What does it say to you that wisdom is presented as a woman crying out in the public square?
- What does this say to us about God’s desire to make wisdom known to us?
How long will you who are simple love your simple ways?
How long will mockers delight in mockery
and fools hate knowledge?
You can be incredibly successful and achieve great things and still be foolish in God’s eyes.
- Does that surprise you? Why? Why not?
- How can that happen?
Repent at my rebuke!
Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
I will make known to you my teachings.
But since you refuse to listen when I call
and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
since you disregard all my advice
and do not accept my rebuke,
I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you;
I will mock when calamity overtakes you—
when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
when distress and trouble overwhelm you.
Then they will call to me but I will not answer;
they will look for me but will not find me,
since they hated knowledge
and did not choose to fear the LORD.
- What are some of the reasons people choose to ignore God’s wisdom?
- What are some of the self-destructive consequences that can come from ignoring God’s wisdom?
Exodus 7:13 tells us that “Pharaoh’s heart became hard and he would not listen to them, just as the Lord said.”
- Why do you think Pharaoh hardened his heart to God’s request?
- Why do we sometimes harden our hearts to what God asks of us?
For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God, nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools.
- Why do we so easily choose to follow our own desires, rather than following God’s way?
- Why do we often choose to focus on what we don’t know clearly about God’s expectations, rather than focusing on faithfully doing what we know God wants us to do?
- How will doing what God instructs – what is good and right and true – bring greater peace and joy to our lives than living by our own desires?
- Why do we pretend that we know better than God how to find happiness and success in life?
Lady Wisdom is calling out to all of us, trying to get our attention, offering us an invitation to come and follow and learn.
- Where in your life is Lady Wisdom calling you in a new direction?
- How is Lady Wisdom calling you to live out what you know?
Ask God for the grace to hear God’s call to faithfulness and for the courage and strength to live out that call in your daily life.