I got a text this week from someone checking in because as he said “I know your world is going to get really busy opening up the church.” That’s the truth!
Let’s talk about reopening, because it is right around the corner.
On June 21, we will begin having both in-person worship and online worship. You can find all the up-to-date information on our website: sumc.co/reopening. As things change from week-to-week, this page on our website will always have the most current information. We anticipate it will be updated every Monday, until we establish a new normal.
I know it’s uncomfortable when things are in constant motion and changes occur every week, and this is why flexibility is so important.
There’s a three-word sentence I’ve become very comfortable with over the last few months, and I’ve found myself saying this sentence even more in the last couple of weeks: “I don’t know.” There are so many things in the air, that there’s so much we simply don’t know.
In the spirit of flexibility, here’s some things I don’t know about our reopening:
- I don’t know how many people will feel comfortable coming back to worship in June, July, August, or beyond.
- I don’t know how many in-person services we will end up with on June 21. We’re going to start with one and will add a second if there is need.
- I don’t know when the choir or band will resume.
- I don’t know how many services we’ll have on June 28, or July 5, or July 12, and so on.
- I don’t know when we’ll resume offering Sunday morning classes and groups.
- I don’t know when we’ll return to having specific styled services (fully traditional or fully modern).
There’s a lot I don’t know.
But here are some things I do know:
- I do know God is faithful.
- I do know God is good.
- I do know God’s love never fails.
- I do know God is sovereign.
- I do know God provides.
- I do know God heals.
- I do know God has a plan for us and we can trust him.
I hope you’ll join us online this Sunday. We’ll talk some more about reopening.