And work for the peace and prosperity of the city where I sent you into exile.
Pray to the Lord for it, for its welfare will determine your welfare.
Jeremiah 29:7 NLT
On October 3, Schweitzer is hosting The Urban Summit. The Urban Summit is for people who love Springfield and who contribute to its goodness, to hear and share stories, to be encouraged, and to (re)ignite dreams that contribute to a thriving city.
The Summit is featuring Jonathan Brooks. Jonathan is a pastor, author, and rapper from the south side of Chicago. Jonathan had to wrestle with Jeremiah’s proclamation to “work for the peace and prosperity of the city… pray to the Lord for it.” Jonathan has a story about how he wanted to escape a certain place, but when he responded to the Lord’s call, he began to contribute to a good and beautiful community, where people flourish. Check out this video of Jonathan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=POkrLmKMsyI).
Additionally, the Summit is going to include a great line-up of people who will be sharing stories of insight, encouragement, and action.
- Scott Bybee, ESC, Inc.; Growing a Business, Investing in a Neighborhood
- Katie Towns, Springfield Greene County Health Department; Advances in Health
- Lorianne Dunn, Springfield Little Theater; Framily, a place for all people to Flourish
- Richard & Lynette Lewis, Retired; Diversity in Springfield
- Sterling Huff, Simmons Bank; Entrepreneurs as Energy in a Thriving Community
- Laura Batson, Pittman Elementary; Community Partnerships that make a difference in a kids life
- Pastor Jim Mason, Schweitzer UMC; Family Stories that shape the future
- Mary Decker, Schweitzer UMC; The Schweitzer story of Community engagement
- Doug Sanders, Life Change Plan; A New Direction
There are three actions you can take on behalf of the Summit.
- Pray. Pray that people who are making some great contributions in Springfield will be encouraged. Pray for God’s dreams for the city to come to the fore front so that people find, God’s dreams that leads to God’s peace and well being.
- Make plans to Attend. Thursday, October 3, from 9-4. You can register at sgfurban.org. You will connect with others, be inspired, and be equipped to act on God’s inspired dreams!
- Share this day with a co-worker or friend. There are people who love this city and its people who need to be here. Share the event details with your contacts, make some one-on-one invitations. In particular, invite the person who downplays their contribution, but you know, they are doing little things well.
When we pray the Lord’s prayer, we say, “your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth, as it is in heaven.” It is our ambition that the Urban Summit is one expression of Jesus’ prayer.
Thanks for your attention!
We look forward to seeing you in worship!